In 2014 we ran a songwriting competition for local young songwriters. The winners came on a writing camp and it was so brilliant that we wanted to keep all this information on the site. Hopefully we’ll do another one one day!
What a brilliant time we had at our songwriting camp. 3 new songs written and recorded in less than 24 hours, and a lot of fun busking round the campfire. You’ll get to hear the songs at Pettafiesta and all of the singer/songwriters will be appearing Saturday afternoon on the main stage for the Pettafiesta Presents showcase.
This year we have been running a writing competition for young writers to get a chance to come on our songwriting camp and work with professional songwriters and industry experts. The event is endorsed by BASCA and we were thrilled with the standard of the entries at the final on 2nd May and the judges decided that all of them should come to the camp. The winners are Isabella O’Reilly, Georgia Roworth, Fern Teather, Charlie Law, Polly Haynes and Gussie Stafford, and here’s a really bad picture of them all at the Cult Cafe with their winners’ t-shirts.
Here’s a link to Andy on the radio talking about it if you’re interested.
They’ll all be performing at Pettafiesta where you can see their talent first hand.
Win a chance to attend a songwriting camp run by and with music industry professionals and songwriters! Learn about the business as well as the craft of writing songs!
Rules and conditions
1. The competition is open to anyone between the ages of 16-24 as at 31st December 2014, who is currently unsigned to a music publishing company on an ongoing basis. Up to 12 finalists will be chosen from all applicants and will be invited to perform at least one of their songs at the live final.
2. Each applicant should send 3 songs or pieces of music to firstname.lastname@example.org or via post to Andy Corrigan at Laffitts Hall, Framsden Rd, Pettaugh, Stowmarket IP14 6DT.
3. The songs should be accompanied by a biography of the applicant indicating your background, influences, ambitions and anything else you’d like us to know about!
4. Songs must be received by 31st March to be eligible. Shortlisted finalists will be notified within 14 days of the closing date. Unsuccessful applicants may not be notified.
5. Finalists will have the opportunity to perform at least one song at the live final at the Cult Cafe in Ipswich on the 2nd May.The Cult Cafe
6. Judges will be judging on the basis of the song rather than the performance, but writers will be permitted to bring someone else to perform their song if they would prefer
7. Finalists should bring their own guitar and a bunch of supporters to the live final. Keyboards and amplification will be provided.
8. At the end of the live final 6 writers will be offered the chance to attend the Pettafiesta writing camp.
9. The writing camp will be held at Laffitts Hall address above, and is set provisionally for 29th and 30th May 2014. Writers will be invited to camp overnight at their own risk provided that any successful writers aged 16 or 17 must have a letter of permission from their parent /guardian. Food and soft drinks will be provided, and more details will appear here over the coming weeks.
10. Judges’ decisions are final. If you aren’t selected it doesn’t mean your songs aren’t any good so don’t lose heart.
11. The dates are provisional and may change.
12. By entering the competition you are agreeing to these rules.
Competition Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pettafiestasongwritingcomp